Got a proper workshop sorted awesome stuff
Got a proper workshop sorted awesome stuff
Got a fender twin to fix that’d had a few mods done and hadn’t been fired up for a few years.
The mods done to it were the addition of a master volume and attempted seriesing of the channels, both of which didn’t work all that great. So first thing was to remove those. Next was to add a common ground as the chassis was floating at quite a high voltage (using a step up transformer as it is 110v).
After that fired it up and it was kinda working, so decided to go through it and change all the electrolytics and out of spec resistors, then give everything a thorough cleaning. Chap who’s amp it is has decided to have a 230v transformer put in so that’s the next job
Proper like these Amps not the best layout or anything but they sound great!
Done a bit more on the bird, swapped out all the bad resistors (pretty much all of them) and rebuilt the reverb circuit Using a 81 driving a transformer and sticking with the 86 for the recovery stage. The cartridges in the old tank had melted and there’s not much chance of getting a stable replacement.
Should hopefully get that done tomorrow and get the amp fired up and running for the first time since I’ve had it!
I’ve also replaced all the big can caps now to.
Here’s an update picture
Today since I’m waiting for bits to do the important stuff I thought I’d mod my small stone.
I love this pedal it does a nice wet gurgling sound that I like. Thought I’d see if I could make it more flexible though! Only did two mods and will most likely do more at some point.
The two mods I did was the uni vibe mod,which Involves changing the caps in the feedback loops so you don’t get quite perfect phasing and adds another flavor and also added a switch that cuts out the dry signal so you just get a vibrato type sound.
Very much enjoy both these mods! Anyway here’s some pictures. Excuse the untidyness.
For info on the mods message me or google mark hamer
Never been happy with the chorus I’ve used so I thought I’d build myself a new one!
I’ve always liked the small clone so I thought I’d use that as a basis for my chorus. I’ve done a few mods though which include replacing the depth switch with a pot for more flexibility, added in a control to control the amount of wet / dry blend so I can get a vibrato sound of it, added in a switch to change how deep and extreme the chorus goes and also added in a rate led.
Pedals are fun and getting this has inspired me to have some fun with my small stone and finally get round to building a mutron filter clone. More on that later though.
Here’s some in progress pictures
I’ve not done a large amount on the bird, basically I’ve had the board out and given it a scrubbing. Still got a bit more to do but it’s looking a lot better and I’ve changed most of the caps apart from the power supply ones.
Next step is change out the power supply ones then go through it and check all the resistors, then onto the reverb tank.
Other news is I’ve been working on a small clone type pedal and I got zoroasters s/t on vinyl. Awesome
Had a nice chap bring his bird golden eagle around today for servicing.
These are pretty cool Amps with a proper 50/60s vibe and nice verb. Problem with them is they’re full of hunts caps which are always knackered and need replacing. Also the bakelite boards get pretty conductive with age so need a good clean.
Cleaning the amp is my first task and then getting the board out is next and going through the bits
Anyway here’s some pictures
Been down in Nottingham today with my mentor, john of champ electronics. Google him he does some great shit.
Anyway been working on a selmer that was to noisey. First off it had a low ht voltage which was quickly rectified when we noticed that one of the rectifier diodes was on the centre tap (interesting mod) and a diode went short in the bias supply aswell (bias supplies don’t like me).
We moved onto the noise after this. John had already fitted a hum dinger which helped with the noise a fair bit but there was still high frequency noise. Hoping a paper cap across the ht will help it since the electrolytes are crap at high frequencies.
Anyway here’s an in progress picture
Been down today to record some tracks so thought I’d take some picture’s
Just recording a friends band do some rough takes for a future project. Sounding pretty cool
Here’s some pictures of the set up. Just got the valve ldc
Fairly straight forward and always a good thing to do. Originals in the matamp we’re starting to show signs of wear and were covered in electrical tape for some reason or another so i thought it’d be best to just stick a new uprated pair in there.
Then remove all the wires, carefully, don’t wanna be scorching all the other ones! Heres the time if you think any of the wires look tired or they might fail to replace them. Always better safe than sorry. Try and use matching colour ones so it looks good
Next unscrew them from the chassis and make sure you don’t lose any of the washers, it’s a bit of a pet peeve of mine to start work on an amp and find half the screws and washers are missing. Didn’t take a picture of me taking it out unfortunatly.
Take the old capacitors out of the clips and put the new ones in. Heres pictures of the old caps, with the electrical tape off. Had to replace one of the capacitor clips since one of them had been bent out of shape due to the over wide caps forced in.
New ones stuck in clips and then soldered back in! Job’s a good un, onto cleaning the amp up next then it should be ready for it’s first firing up!
remember to keep your wiring tidy since it’s easier to follow if you’ve done something wrong and it’s not a rats nest.